Monday, November 10, 2008

Will Journalism Ever Recover from 2008?

I've been discussing this Washington Post's Ombudsman's report with a California reader of mine, Russ. To say that the ombudsman, Deborah Howell, is stating the obvious would be the understatement of the year! But of us agree on two other related points:

  1. She went no where far enough in her condemnation of her paper's reporting.

  2. Absolutely nothing will change. Much like an insincere person going to Confession at a Roman Catholic church, the words have been said but now it'll be back to the same old, same old.
In our discussion Russ referred me to this more realistic condemnation of journalists by Orson Scott Card. I never saw it when it was published. Reading it for the first time now is extremely enlightening. It confirms everything I observed and suspected during the election campaign. But the degree of the cover-up I did not fully appreciate until now.

No comments: