Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Computer Tip

Owning a router/firewall like this one is HIGHLY recommended for anyone using a home computer these days. Such a device gives you a great deal of protection from those nefarious folks systematically examining every Internet modem they can find.
I own this specific WRT54G Linksys device and have installed many of them in the homes of friends. They're easy to setup and start using immediately. But they do have one inherent problem. Over time they start slowing down Internet traffic. This is especially the case when you have multiple computers connected. I do not know the technical reasons why but have significant anecdotal evidence that it occurs.

Resolving the problem is simple: Just unplug the power cord, wait a few seconds, and plug it right back in. Immediately you'll notice a sudden rejuvenation of Internet speed.

This remedy is also likely effective for other brands of similar devices.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is your wireless connectivity secured?

Robert W. said...

Absolutely! Why?

Anonymous said...

Pelalusa I keep stumbling on your great site after forgetting about it for too long.
Question. I use an airport to allow others nearby to use their macs online. I cannot seem to get each machine passworded correctly so have been operating....openly. Any suggestions.....on the qt?

Robert W. said...

I apologize but I don't know a thing about any Apple hardware. I'd suggest finding a forum of theirs and query the experts on there.