Saturday, June 07, 2008

The Positive Power of the Internet

I just read Rob Breakenridge's new piece on last week's "trial" and sent him this note:

Rob, stepping back a minute, I'm struck by what an amazing tool for freedom and free speech the Internet has become for all of us. Your article is a brilliant one, pulling together quotations that, even just 10 years ago, would have been very difficult to find, especially in a timely fashion.

While the Internet does serve as a breeding ground for the lunatic fringe, it also provides a space for the likes of you & me to express our opinions and hopefully start a dialogue with those open minded enough to have one.

Living in Vancouver, this past week was a troubling one for me, but I'm now starting to feel a renewed optimism about my country and the people in it. A positive future, more akin to Tarek Fatah's vision, seems more & more likely. Though the big lesson for me from this past week is that us "sheepdogs" must always be vigilant to ensure that the positive future remains that way!

No comments: