Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Back on the Grid!

For a variety of reasons, I've not had Internet access since last Friday. This has been mostly bliss but it's nice to be able to catch up again.

I immediately went to Jonathan Kay's excellent blog to get updated on the Canadian Zeitgeist. It was beyond shock that I discovered what finally happened to Heather Mallick at the CBC News site. I paid particular attention to how CBC News head, John Cruickshank finished his commentary: "CBCNews.ca will soon expand the diversity of voices and opinions and be home to a diverse group of writers with many perspectives. In this, we will better reflect the depth and texture of this country. We erred in our editorial judgment. You told us in no uncertain terms. And we have learned from it."

I am taking him at his word and have applied to become a blogger at CBCNews.ca. Quite frankly, I am confident that I can add a great diversity to the voices there, plus a bunch of superb photographs! I'll let you know when I hear back from them.

Incidentally, down here in the U.S. there is a dirth of news about Canada but the Mallick story even made the news down here!


Kay had a number of interesting new posts as well. One of them was about an ultra-hypocritical group of students at York University. Hmmm, where have we heard about strange views of York University students before? Oh yes, that's the same school that educated law students into wanting to muzzle Maclean's Magazine and Mark Steyn.

The piece de resistance on Kay's blog though was this summary of how bloggers are making a difference on the Canadian political scene. It lead me to Robert Jago's blog. He is being attacked by the Green Party of Canada for their peculiar views about Jewish people and Israel in general. Even more on this subject can be found on this other blog.

No comments: