Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Why Vancouverites Frequently Annoy Me

I'm a Vancouverite, born & raised. But I've lived in many other places too. Anyone reading my blog knows that I'm currently in Miami, Florida, finishing up the end of a 2-month working vacation here.

Every day I listen to CKNW online, read the Vancouver Sun, and watch the periodic newscast on the CTV website. Plus I read several blogs from back home, many of which there are links for on the right. So I have not lost track at all with what's going on back home.

I came across a posting in the Vancouver section of Craigslist where the author stated the following about the Vancouver Police Department: "Let me tell you this, they aren't rent a cops, but they are not professional, ethical ones either. What they are is incompetent, deceitful, corrupt and they are the largest criminal organization in this city. And,god help all the citizens of this city based on the fact that they are what we have as our police department."

If there's one thing [some] Vancouverites excel at, it's a self-imposed ignorance of the larger world around them and an Academy Award winning talent for playing the role of the proverbial victim. We have so much in Canada, especially in Vancouver, not the least of which are boundless opportunities to better our own lives. Yet people like this writer, anti-poverty "activists" (read "anarchists"), and environmental zealots would have the world believe that we're living in a totalitarian police state. Remember what I said about ignorance?

While I've been in Miami I've had the opportunity to talk with dozens upon dozens of people from all over the world, especially from many countries in the Caribbean and South America. Some specific conversations with Cuban & Haitian refugees and newcomers from Colombia & Argentina & Venezuela have provided me with extremely unpleasant first hand stories that will forever be imprinted in my brain.

You think you have it bad in Vancouver? Get a grip! Get a fracking grip!! You don't even know the meaning of the words: oppression, corruption, hunger, poverty, and hopelessness.

I'm flying home next week. Looking forward to it. But I know it won't be too long before the ignorant "permanent victims" of Vancouver vividly and constantly remind me of how incredibly selfish and ungrateful so many Canadians are.

The next time you see one of these folks outraged about this or that, just picture a spoiled little brat throwing a tantrum in public, complaining to his mother that he's not happy with the silver spoon in his mouth and wants a gold one instead!

No comments: