Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Better Way To Start The Day

I had ran out of milk yesterday, so I needed to get some for my morning coffee. I woke up around 7:40am and watched some morning news on TV. Down here I generally flip between:

  • NBC's Today Show - I must confess that I've long been in love with Ann Curry!
  • MSNBC's Imus in the Morning - Don Imus has a very checkered past but he avoids being politically correct, something which I admire
  • FOX News "Fox & Friends" - I appreciate a point of view unseen in Canada. The only downside is Brian Kilmeade, who I find most annoying.
I wasn't sure when my local Publix grocery store opened so I checked their website and was pleasantly surprised to discover that they're open between 7am - 11pm every day. Seeing this, I immediately got dressed and headed downstairs.

My first stop was the nearby Post Office, where I sent off a number of postcards. I like the staff there very much. They're much more friendly than any Canadian post office! Sorry nachtwache, but I believe this to be true. Canadian postal outlet staff are often fine though.

Rather than heading directly to the supermarket, I took a circuitous route along the water. Over to my left was Key Biscayne, where a major tennis tournament has just started. I'm thinking of going tomorrow. The rays of the sun were already warm, though a swift breeze was keeping things pleasant.

I then went past the lovely St. Jude Catholic Church. A few blocks later I was at the Publix. As always, I bought more than I set out to but it wasn't too much to carry home.

Upon my return I discovered that there were two packages waiting for my friend, Chris (aka Señor Online Shopper Extraordinaire). I was eating an apple while I waited for the building staff to find them. A pretty woman working behind the desk said she'd love one. Turns out I had just bought 6 new ones! So I brought her and one of the cleaning ladies a manzana (apple en espanol!).

This morning outing was a GREAT way to start the day and a practice I really need to get into, both here in Miami and back home in Vancouver.

No comments: