Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Hot Dogs: An American Institution

The evening had arrived and I was absolutely starving. But then an amazing program on hot dogs across America came onto PBS. I just couldn't peel my eyes away, even though my stomach was screaming at my legs to do so. If you ever get a chance, watch it! And if you're not American, you'll quickly gain a great insight into what many say is "America's National Food". But hot dogs go way beyond food. There's a whole cultural experience around them.

The highlight for me was the segment on the many hot dog places throughout Chicago, several of which I've been to. The only downside was that it didn't feature my favourite hot dog emporium in Portland, Oregon, Otto's Sausage Kitchen.

1 comment:

KFDodge said...

There's a really nifty place in Miami called "Dogma"; a play on words of sorts. Anyway, it's around US 1 and NW 50th ave. But they reportedly have the best 'dogs around!!!