Friday, March 30, 2007

How Modern Liberals Think

Evan Sayet is a political satirist and comedian. He describes himself as a reformed liberal. In this video he presents an interesting, thoughtful thesis about what makes a modern liberal-minded person tick.

I vehemently don't think there's any conspiracy theory at work. But I do believe that the modern liberals that Sayet is talking about typically think the following:

  • ALL beliefs & values are equal, no matter how different they are than ours.
  • There are rights & wrongs, just different ways of looking at things.
  • We must not expect others to adjust their ways to ours, even if they're living in our society.
  • The thoughts of victims have a greater moral authority than the thoughts of others.
  • Stability & sovereignty is paramount in the world, even if millions of people are being oppressed or slaughtered.
  • Big government is good. A world government body, such as the UN, is better.
If you fail to agree with all of these then you are a conservative, right-wing, neocon, unenlightened, closed-minded, selfish bigot. Don't believe me, just ask a liberal!

Like most everything, political views reside on a spectrum. I consider myself to be a pragmatic libertarian. That means that fiscally I'm a bit right of centre but socially I'm somewhat left of centre on many, but not all issues. Make no mistake that ultra-conservative religious zealots freak me out. But I recognize that such people come from ALL religions, not just Christianity. To this group I also include the newest fundamentalists: environmental zealots.

Most of my friends would describe themselves as liberals. In fact, most Canadians would describe themselves as liberal-minded. But what the really devout liberals fail to realize is how far extreme on the political spectrum they are. So much so that they annoy me just as much as the group on the other end of the spectrum!

No comments: