Wednesday, December 21, 2005

What Makes It All Worthwhile

Back on November 24th I posted some of the sample letters I had received, asking for consideration about getting the one computer I had available at the time. One of these read as follows:

Hello,My name is ------. I moved to Vancouver from Romania with my family (my husband and two twin bebies) a month ago. Tomorow we are moving to Port Coquitlam in a social house. For now we can not buy furniture or a computer, but a computer is the way to find a job, to find everything we need now. Write now we are staying at our friend -------, so I am using her computer. Actually, you decide if I we can be calified to get your gift for Christmas. If you want to talk with us call 604 ###-####. Thank you, what ever your decision is.------p.s. sorry for my mistakes. i still have to work to empruve my english.


This evening I arranged for one of the donors to directly deliver a computer to this woman and her family. This is something I normally wouldn't do but I made an exception for reasons I won't get into here. Anyhow, from the donor I just received the following e-mail:

Hi Robert

We delivered the computer to ----- this evening and she was truly very grateful. She said she cried after I called her to let her know we were coming by.

She wanted us to come in and visit but unfortunately we had to go to our daughter's place which is very close by so had to turn her down.

Her husband is an engineer (working in construction now) so he should be able to get the computer up and running and hopefully get good use out of it. We are very pleased to have our computer go to this lovely family - they have 14 month old twins that are adorable. What a strong young couple to come here to start a new life. Her husband doesn't even speak english!

Thank you for all your efforts - you gave us a good match for our computer!

Keep up the good work.

Thanks
P----

Just amazing. You know, us Canadians tend to be a non-emotive lot compared to many other cultures. But strip away that outer defensive wall most of us keep up 24/7 and you can find some pretty amazing human beings!

No comments: