Saturday, December 31, 2005

An Amazing Survivor!

I'd like to introduce you to Bonnie Paquette. She's someone who put me in touch with one of the families who received a computer on Christmas Eve. I didn't get a chance to talk with Bonnie until this past week. When I heard the story of her life I was just floored. Up until six years ago Bonnie was living on the streets of Vancouver. She had done so for at least 18 years, sleeping behind a store very close to where I live. I'm guessing that I'd walked by her on some previous occasion. She explained that she finally hit rock bottom and only then was able to find her way past her dependency to drugs.
I can't even begin to imagine what her life was like during those years or what strength & courage it must have taken to finally get clean & sober. We have yet to meet in person but when we do so I'm going to give her a big hug and continue the discussion we started on the phone. You are a survivor, Bonnie, and it really is a great honour to have made your acquaintance!

No comments: