Monday, December 12, 2005

Radio Appearance

This morning I woke up at 6am (actually got about about 20 minutes later!) so that I could appear as a guest on Roy Green's show at 7am. There were other invited guests from Edmonton, Winnipeg, and two from Ontario, though one of these had recently moved from Quebec.

We discussed a whole range of issues, including childcare, gun control, and taxes.

Not a single person was happy with what Martin & co. have been doing or saying, but looking at things objectively, this panel obviously did not represent a cross-section of Canadians; otherwise we'd have had 35 - 40% Liberal supporters. These are the people I'd ideally like to talk with, for me to get some reasonable idea of how they can possibly be voting this way.

As I said to Roy in a post-show e-mail, I hate to continue being realistic (a nicer word than 'pessimistic') but nothing about what's going on in government gives me even a tiny slice of optimism. Right now it looks almost certain like the Liberals will once again get another minority government, but that will provide a strange scenario because they were just defeated in a vote of non-confidence. So if essentially the same crew is returned into power then how can any of the opposition parties support them?

No comments: