Saturday, December 03, 2005

Firefox Bug - Finally Resolved!!!

I switched over to Firefox many months ago and have rarely used Internet Explorer since. I especially like its Tab features, where you can have multiple web pages in a single Firefox window, each on its own tab. But there are plenty of other great features too.

However, I've long had a problem that I couldn't install new "extensions" (add-ons), always getting a "Software installation is currently disabled" message. I followed the instructions to enable software installation but nothing seemed to work. Finally today I found these instructions in a Firefox forum:

Place the cursor in the URL box, type about:config
In the Filter box, type xpinstall.enabled ; if it shows as False, click on it to change it to True.
Close the Window or tab; install extensions.

This is caused when a user of an earlier release had blocked the installation of extensions; 1.5 should have allowed for this to be changed more easily, but the above instructions work.

And lo and behold, everything now works great! I just installed a weather extension that keeps me up to date with the latest weather forecast, right on the bottom edge of my browser. And for the first time ever I'm able to add new entries to this blog via Firefox!

No comments: