Sunday, April 12, 2009

Two Views on Gay Marriage

David Berner is a well known media personality in Vancouver and someone who I've felt honoured to have met a few times in my life. On some issues we very much agree whilst on others we don't at all. Gay Marriage happens to be one of the latter. Here's something he recently posted.

Here's the comment I left him:

David, the issue of gay marriage is low on my priority list. It was made legal here in Canada and hasn't directly affected my life at all. And I wholeheartedly believe that gay couples should have all the same benefits, etc. of heterosexual couples.

But if I was given the choice to vote on it, I would vote 'No' for gay marriage. If you or your readers think this makes me a bigot then c'est la vie.

I heard someone recently suggest that all liberal democratic societies have a built-in self-destruction mechanism. Years ago I would have thought this to be nonsense but now I wonder if the concept of unlimited rights for everyone and a determination to never discriminate against anyone in any way is taking us down a very slippery slope.

Let me pose some questions to you which I hope you will take the time to think about carefully before responding to.

  1. Do you believe, in the interest of non-discrimination, that a man should be able to have any number of wives?

  2. Do you believe, in the interest of non-discrimination, that an adult child should be able to marry their mother or father?

  3. Do you believe, in the interest of non-discrimination, that a brother and sister should be able to marry each other?

  4. Do you believe, in the interest of non-discrimination, that a 6'2" tall man, who states that he believes he's a woman, should be able to wear a dress & makeup and stand in the girls bathroom at a local school or swimming centre?

  5. Do you believe, in the interest of non-discrimination, that the concept of separating boys and girls into different sports leagues is completely outdated?
I'm most interested to read your answers. Please note that if you don't agree with all of these initiatives that more than a few people would call you a bigot and believe you to be absolutely wrong.

No comments: