Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Couch Surfing

I had dinner with some very interesting people this evening. One couple flew in from London, England yesterday, one fellow arrived from Campeche, Mexico a week ago, one woman is originally from Guatemala but has been living in B.C. for several years. The couple was telling me all about CouchSurfing.com, a website I had never heard of before.
Its mission is to coordinate the accommodations of people traveling anywhere in the world. At first this might seem a bit "creepy" to let complete strangers into your home. But there are many levels of safety checks to try to provide some validation of the person's character. Anyhow, it has worked out very well for this couple apparently.

Truth be told, I've had lots of people stay in my home, some of whom I'd never met before. But they always came with a recommendation from someone I knew personally. I'm going to check this site out but am curious if anyone reading this has ever tried it.

1 comment:

Mia said...

I haven't used it myself, but 2 young friends - both ladies, have been using it for the last few months while they travel around, its worked for them just fine - but they haven't admitted what they are doing to their parents!