Monday, September 10, 2007

CBC's The Current: A Racist Hiring Policy?

Take a look at this set of faces. They work for "The Current", CBC Radio 1's morning primetime show. With a few minor exceptions, all of the staff are white, white, white.

Yet this show has a constant parade of segments featuring "ethnic" people who are constantly facing some sort of racism. Today there was a piece on mixed races. The general implication was that if you dare ask a person what ethnic makeup they are, then you are automatically a racist. What a crock!

I have two traits that make me guilty:

  1. I'm a curious person. Always have been. It's one of the reasons I became an engineer.
  2. I happen to be especially attracted to women of mixed races. I don't know precisely why but I so often find their looks to be very enchanting.
So in the same way that I'm curious to learn about where people have traveled to and what types of cuisine they like, I'm also curious to learn about their ethnic heritage. Wow, what a horrible person I am for doing so!!

I wrote The Current and [more gently] shared my thoughts with them. I also challenged them to do a future show that asked more pressing questions, walking outside the politically correct boundaries that the CBC has imposed on itself. Here's an example: A CBC radio reporter should interview a group of Chinese-Canadian teenagers in a mall and ask them the following: "Some might call you to be racist because you've not let into your social group anyone outside your own racial group. Do you agree? If not, why have you made no effort to diversify your social circle?"

Do you think they'll ever ask such a question?!

No comments: