Saturday, September 15, 2007

On The Road To Seattle

I woke up at 5:30am, thirty minutes before my alarm was set to get me up. Had my regular large coffee and made the transition from semi-conscious to, well, a tiny bit more conscious. My friend, Ravena, came by to pick me up at 7:30. The drive to the train station was fast - less than 10 minutes. I often tease Ravena about her driving but she's actually a very safe driver!

There's no morning train to Seattle so one must take a bus instead. This one was absolutely packed. I'd never seen this before but perhaps it was because it was a Friday. I could also tell from accents that there were a lot of tourists on board.

Here's a strange sign that was in the bathroom at the rear of the bus. Any guess as to what it's trying to communicate?


Much of Metro Vancouver was covered in fog; not so much a blanket, but more akin to a grey umbrella blocking out the sun. The delay at the border was quite long. There were several other buses there, plus some sort of souped up motorhome was in front of us. It had no less than 4 air conditioners on the roof! I think there were musicians inside and it took a long time for inspection.

The rest of the trip was uneventful and we arrived, as scheduled, at 12:30pm. Union Station in Seattle sits on the far south side of downtown, right beside the magnificent QWest baseball field.


As we were arriving, my stomach commanded my eyes to be on the lookout for a place where a fill-up could occur. I spotted an interesting looking Vietnamese restaurant just 2 blocks away from the train station. I strolled past a deli and an upscale convenience store but decided to try out the restaurant I had seen earlier. I'm glad I did! It's called Cafe Hue and is located at 312 2nd Avenue South.


I consider myself to be quite a connoisseur of Vietnamese food, having tried it at many places in Vancouver. Cafe Hue didn't let me down! I ordered 2 seafood egg rolls and a large soup with wontons, plus a strong cup of Vietnamese coffee. Everything was incredibly delicious!

To help you locate the place, go to my favourite building in Seattle, The Smith Tower, and then walk 2 blocks south. You won't be disappointed!

3 comments:

cc said...

You're kidding about that sign, right?

Anonymous said...

Robert--Thank you for your kind comments re: Smith Tower. Next time you are in Seattle, please drop-in and take our original 1914 manually operated elevator up to the observation deck and see the best view in Seattle!

Jardima Kroeker
Property Manager
Smith Tower

Sean Smith said...

the sign means that Senator Larry Craig is known to frequent this rest room and it is a friendly warning sign....like your blog too.....bookmarked it