Monday, September 10, 2007

How Stupid Can Some Men Be?

If you're ever looking to do some free market research, a great place to go is Craigslist. You can post questions in any of the forums but if you're looking to query a particular demographic then the Personals is by far your best choice. As part of the research I'm doing for my new venture I posted my questions in the "women for men" forums in a few cities. A few days later I received a strange message. It didn't address any of my questions so I immediately suspected that it was some kind of scam. A few days later I received a differently worded message, albeit with a photo of the same woman! My scam concerns were confirmed.

As a favour to all men out there I posted the following in the "women for men" forum in these same cities:

Fellow gents, please be aware that a "woman" who looks like the enclosed photo is sending generic replies to all of us guys in Vancouver, and probably elsewhere. "Her" latest began like this:

"Hi my new friend! My name is Marina. I hope my letter will find you in good mood. I for the first time try such a way of dialogue, and I really don't know what to tell right now even though I understand that this first message have greater importance. But I have decided to write to you and maybe you will answer. I sincerely hope that you are looking for the same as I. Once upon a time, the loneliness has come into my home and since then does not want to let me off. The loneliness establishes own laws of life and life filles with sadness and disappointment. I freeze from loneliness."

Very likely this is a team of guys, I'm guessing in Eastern Europe, who are trying to lure unsuspecting men into sending them money or are just collecting e-mail addresses for a spam database.

Remember: If a woman responds to you and doesn't seem to address anything you wrote in your posting then it's very likely a scam.




















I didn't expect any e-mail whatsoever but 2 guys did write to thank me. However, by far the bulk of the e-mails were like these:

hi
wat a nice day today , if u wana see vancouver today just email me back bcz only today i am free . or here its bonous for u i am giving u my number bcz i am leaving computer now so call me at 604 825####
talk to u soon


hi sweet thing
hi i am from Toronto just saying hi and also sending you some of my pictures keep smiling Douglas


Hi, my name is Walter, i am a 36 brazilian man(HOT BLOODED) living in Goiânia-Goiás(Brazil).I like sports(swimming,running,etc), music(hard rock,melodic rock,pop,folk,etc),make new friends,healtfull,non-smoker, 1.73m, 72 kg, brown eyes, long brown hair.I used to live in USA from 1999 till 2005.I am working as a interpreter/translator(portuguese-spanish-english) as a freelancer for some companies around here in my country, and here it goes my work add(porutugese and english):

I have experience working as a Portuguese interpreter(I lived 7 years in USA working in this area). I'd like to use my time doing face-to-face interpretation to non-english speakers that have Portuguese (e vice-versa) as their native tongue. My help can comprise of filling applications forms, making enquiries over the phone on someone's behalf and accompanying you to any place where I can assist you with any situations that require either an interpreter or translator.


Are you a real chick?
Cuz i'm looking for a dessert...
From: Whistler Vancouver
Cheers


Hi there,
How you doing?
I am divorced and I am East Indian 36 year old from Surrey. Do you like to hook up with me. If yes here is my e-mail address Garry####@hotmail.com Email me and then we will go fom there.
Thanks
Gary

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is one supposed to feel sorry for these guys? If so, for what? Having A.D.D. and not taking 10 seconds to read?

Ignorance clearly must be bliss!

No comments: