Tuesday, February 19, 2008

View From the Top of Diamond Head



I'll let the video & two photos above speak for themselves. It was a crystal clear day and absolutely perfect for photography! This next photo shows part of the 2-level platform on the summit, to allow the proud hikers to capture some proof of their victory.
Who is this couple, you ask? I have no idea, other than that they're from Boston and didn't have a camera. So, as I always do, I offered to take their photo and gave them one of my business cards. If they ever write, then they'll get a copy of the photo!
The top of Diamond Head is akin to a head with a cap loosely affixed on top. After climbing that spiral staircase, one comes onto a small platform and can then climb outside and walk around the base of the cap, before walking up more stairs to the very top.
This is a view looking down the southern slope toward the community below. Back in July 1993, on my only other trip to Hawaii, I didn't realize that one could drive up into the base of the Diamond Head volcano. So instead, I parked down here and climbed up the front face. At times it was mostly vertical! But I did make it!!


This last view is to the Northwest. It shows how densely populated Honolulu is in places.

No comments: