Monday, February 18, 2008

A Day With Great Friends & Good Food!

On this, Day 2 in Hawaii, we had an interesting day visiting old friends. It started by walking over to meet our Chicago friend, Toni, at the bus stop in front of her condo.

I'll let you figure out what this structure is for.

Toni's favourite breakfast place is the local IHOP.

This was hilarious. The travel section of one of the local newspapers featured a story about traveling to Toronto in the winter! Something tells me that precious few Hawaiians would follow such advice!
Toni offered to take us over to the Ala Moana Shopping Center where we could pick up a monthly bus pass and do a little shopping. The bus passes are $40 per month and unfortunately only run on the calendar month, so for us it's only good for about 12 days but we plan on taking the bus a lot so it should still be worth it (the regular price is $2 per ride).
I was experimenting with my new camera and took several shots while turning my camera clockwise. I liked this one the best.
The bus transfer was reminiscent of what used to exist in Vancouver before the new computerized ones were introduced. Once we had the bus passes, we no longer needed to get these.
We took it easy in the afternoon. At 6:30pm we were picked up by my longtime friend, Rose, and her husband, Marc. I had never met him before. Marc's a very interesting fellow, with a rich family history in Hawaii. Though he's a Haole (white person), his family first arrived here in the 1840's!!!

They took us to Sushi King, a Japanese restaurant away from the tourist areas. It was delightful.
Regular patrons keep their own personal bottles of Sake on a long shelf behind the Sushi bar.
Living in Vancouver, I have access to lots of terrific sushi, but I must say that what we had here was amongst the tastiest & freshest I can ever remember!

No comments: