Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Virginia Tech Massacre

Like the rest of you, I'm still sorting out in my own mind all of my feelings about the tragedy that recently occurred in Blacksburg, Virginia. However the hairs on the back of my neck go up when I hear the same old chorus of:

  • We must stop such a thing from ever happening again. Really, how?
  • The murderer, Cho, was a victim too. Sorry, I just can't feel sorry for him.
  • All guns must be banned. This is a very complex issue and isn't quite so simple.
  • Much more sensitivity training would have prevented this. Really, how?
I realize that people need to express their grief in different ways but it's very uncouth when different groups immediately use a tragedy to support their own agenda.
Mark Steyn makes some excellent points here. And David Berner does the same here

2 comments:

dgny said...

Oprah had an interesting show on the topic yesterday. I only watched some, but she had a Columbine kid on the show, who has devoted his life to working with schools to foster an environment where these sorts of things don't happen. There site is here.

One thing they talked about was the obligation of the media not to fuel the gunman's sense of fame by plastering his image and message everywhere as it only inspires others to try to attain the same attention and/or break his record on the most damage. I think it's great you've put the focus on the victims - their loss is the real tragedy.

nachtwache said...

I see you changed your photo.
I read Steyn's and another article, excellent! With all the reading I'm doing and being back at work 5 nights a week, I have little time to write anything on my blog. Bowyer was the author of the other article.