Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The YVR Protest: An Absolute Disgrace!

Something absolutely insane happened at YVR yesterday. Even worse, though expected, the perpetrators are now labeling as racist anyone who publicly criticizes them. I've just sent the following letter to the Vancouver Sun:

The recent thug-like theatrics at YVR by Harsha Walia and her cohorts is a disgrace of the highest order. While the participants undoubtedly think an injustice is being done to them, I wonder if their little de facto gang stopped for a moment to consider what two points they made with crystal clarity:

  1. They have absolutely no respect for the law, let alone order.
  2. Playing the politically correct race card is as transparent as the hollow arguments they've been making.
With Svend Robinson now in Europe, perhaps Walia thought that a vacancy needed to be filled. Whatever the case, such actions are far, far beneath any Canadian, no matter what colour of skin they have or where they were originally born. I anxiously await the saner words of our Attorney General, Wally Oppal, to remind us all of what constitutes proper behaviour in this country that we all call home.

A half German-Canadian who would be saying EXACTLY the same thing if the gentleman in question were from my father's homeland.

Robert Werner
South Granville

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are the RCMP with tasers when you need them? :)

md

nachtwache said...

Ole Svend's in Europe? Good, they can keep him.
I just read the story about the airport debacle. One part of me wants to say, send 'em all back, another feels sorry for the sick man and thinks he should be able to stay. I'm torn. But then I know I'm a bleeding heart for anyone that's hurt, sick, down and out, in need of help.

Robert W. said...

Hey, hey, hey, EVERY Canadian of Indian heritage is an individual, just like you and I are. So let's not talk about sending "them" back.

I'm in a unique position in all of this because I know so many Indian people. In fact, my best friend is Indian. But I don't care what a person's skin colour is. The law should be applied equally to everyone.

The best suggestion I've heard yet is that all of the money pledged by members of the Indian community here should be used to support the man ... once he's back in India.

Anonymous said...

You're clearly upset about this but I am not clear on why you are.

You talk about respect for "the law" but which "law" are you talking about?

Robert W. said...

Dear Anon,

Please do post again and elaborate on what you're saying. Also, please do us all the courtesy of at least posting your first name.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

pl,

You said that the protesters had "no respect for the law"

Which law are you referring to?

It seems to me they were protesting a bureaucratic decision not a "law."

A bureaucratic decision that could have cost this man his life (remember his doctor said that it was not safe for him to fly on a plane).

I am not sure that I want to live in a country where petty bureaucratic decisions interfere with life and liberty.

bl
BTW, could you please use your first name as well.