Monday, December 17, 2007

Are Food Banks Helping or Hindering The Homeless?

I've was working late and, as I often do, was listening to BBC London's morning show. An interesting discussion erupted about whether "soup runs" (the British term for "soup kitchens") are a good or a bad idea. There was a reference to this editorial from a charity organization called "Thames Reach".

I found it extremely interesting and I think that everything said therein applies just as much to food banks.

I realize it's not popular to criticize charity initiatives but I am very skeptical of anything that serves as a "hand out" rather than a "hand up".

1 comment:

Walter Schultz said...

If you want more of something, just make it free. That's what you get with food banks; they only encourage people to spend their resources on things other than food.