Saturday, June 02, 2007

A Heartwarming Story From Earlier Today

Today was one of BC Digital Divide's monthly distribution days. This time around, so many great things happened. I'd like to share one story with you, in the form of a self-explanatory letter I just sent to Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland:

To Whom It May Concern:

Today I had the great pleasure to meet one Jeannie ######, who I learned, has been a "little sister" within your organization for several years. She's now a nursing student at Langara College and received a substantial scholarship from your organization, which will pay for her entire university education. She was exceptionally bright, polite, and full of great determination.

My group, BC Digital Divide, provided her with a Dell laptop computer and her mom with a desktop computer. I am absolutely sure they will both be put to good use! Her mom was in tears, explaining to me how back in her home country this sort of generosity just does not occur. She got pregnant with Jeannie at an early age and wasn't able to get the education she wanted. But she is adamant that her daughter will follow a different path. I reflected upon this and pointed out that she was living the Canadian Dream!!

While I'm sure that Jeannie's mom has had a big role in helping raise such an outstanding young woman, something tells me that her Big Sister also had a major influence. If you could pass on my heartfelt congratulations to this woman, I would very much appreciate it!

Keep up the GREAT work you all do!!!

Sincerely,

Robert Werner
Founder
BC Digital Divide

No comments: