Saturday, October 22, 2005

Something Positive out of the Teachers Strike

Though the past 2 weeks have been difficult ones in the lives of most British Columbians, there's an important life lesson I was vividly reminded of. Given a specific situation, two intelligent, thoughtful people can view it in completely opposing ways. What's key to realize is that this does not necessarily mean that one is right and the other is wrong.

Take Jinny Sims, the BCTF President, as an example. My close friends who are teachers admire her very much. But I don't, never have, and never will. There was an AMAZING segment on Jon McComb's show on CKNW on Friday (Oct. 21st) between 5:15 - 5:35pm. If you want to listen to it then go here. If you don't want to register then you can find registration info here. What you'll hear is a debate between Sims and B.C.'s Labour Minister, Mike de Jong. They don't actually talk with one another directly but communicate through McComb. Talk radio at its finest!

In any case, one of my teacher friends heard the segment too. What *I* heard in Sims was a confrontational, stubborn, irritating woman and, in my opinion, a perfect example of why the BCTF has been unable to negotiate any deals for at least a decade. Just like David Chudnovsky before her ... who used his BCTF job as a stepping stone to become an NDP MLA by the way. What my friend heard was a woman she greatly admired, someone who is sticking up for teachers rights.

One situation, two completely different reactions. My friend's views are motivated by her work as a teacher and her belief that her working conditions have deterioriated in the past few years. She also believes that she's entitled to a pay raise. As for me, I don't disagree with her about the working conditions but I do believe that there's more than enough taxpayer dollars going into the system already. I think a whole lot of it is wasted by the numerous education bureaucracies and the very fact that so many in this sector are completely unaccountable for keeping costs down. As for a pay raise, I don't think that anyone is *entitled* to a raise. Many of my friends in the private sector have not had a raise in years. As for public sector workers, I've commented before that a rude awakening is coming their way in the next decade as the percentage of working adults decreases. We already have a huge debt that is going to take decades to pay off. On a very simple mathematical level, it's going to be impossible to keep on funding more & more. These are the factors that motivate me.

So the next time you're in a disagreement with someone, try to remember that their views are shaped by the sum of their experiences and their personal situation, just like yours are for you. This doesn't mean you have to agree with them. But perhaps you'll take an extra moment to better understand where they're coming from and why they have a different view from you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even Jim Sinclair from the federation apparently had enough of Jinny Sims. I guess there are SOME union members who have some common sense.

The following was posted on
http://teacheronstrike.blogspot.com/, a blog maintained by a BC teacher.

" Jim Sinclair backs off professed support of teachers: Even before anyone had even SEEN the recommendations, Sinclair stepped down his support of teachers, calling off the BC Fed's involvement in the rally, and refusing to talk to Jinny Sims until a vote was held. I can't tell you how many teachers are FURIOUS over this"

Robert W. said...

A teacher friend of mine also commented to me on what a traitor Jim Sinclair is. It's a reminder to me of how narrow one's focus can become the further into a fight one gets. In the case of some teachers, they rival fundamentalist religious zealots in their righteousness.

I don't often agree with Sinclair but this time it was clear that he was doing the level headed thing. At this moment the vote's not back yet but I'm not so sure it's going to be as strong a "return to work" mandate as everyone thinks. In fact, this may all be starting up again tomorrow morning.

Hillary said...

whoops! It's October 21 when the interview took place.

Thanks for this post. You make a great point about how people can see things differently and how it's important to try to understand eachother. :)

Robert W. said...

Yes, you're right. Funny, I was staring right at a calendar a few feet from me but typed in the wrong date.

One of my teacher friends told me that only 29,000 of the 38,000 teachers voted. He was as dismayed as I was that 9,000 people couldn't get themselves to go vote. I knew apathy was rampant in this country but I never thought it would reach to such extents; on a vote that is directly related to their livelihood. What do you think?

I wonder what kind of % of voters we would get if the federal gov't decreed that all people between 25 to 50 would have to start serving in the military next year ... unless they voted 95% against the idea?!? :-)

Hillary said...

"And people ask me why I drink!"

hahahaha... even Jon McComb was begging Mike Dejong to just please commit to putting numbers in the school act.

Jinny is repetitive, perhaps, but she's trying to get an answer from Dejong. I found Dejong jsut as repetitive. Stubborn? The BCTF are the ones who made the concessions, not the government. And irritating? That's a personal reaction. Mike Dejong makes my skin crawl.

See, what I hear in that interview is Dejong refusing to commit. Yes he says they'll talk about it, but to not commit to it makes me just wonder why on earth not. Yes, there has to be discussion at the roundtable, but nobody's asking him to say what the numbers will be. Teachers who have been slapped around by this government for the last three years don't trust this government at all. This slippery typical-government speak doesn't help.

Interesting clip, for sure.


As far as voter turnout, that's pretty darn good. 30,427 voted of approximately 38,000. That's 80%. No provincial or federal election can boast that. For such short notice, too, it's an extremely high turnout.

Ha ha, will we agree on anything? How about your photos? They're geat! I think we both aggree Vancouver is a spectacular place to live!

Robert W. said...

Please don't misunderstand my comment about the % of teachers who voted. Yes, 80% is an excellent turnout compared to federal & provincial elections. But I'm still shocked that so many teachers chose not to vote on something that is SO DIRECTLY related to their lives. But I'm equally critical of everyone I meet who doesn't vote in the regular political elections.

I am guilty though of not generally voting municipally. But that's changing next month! We've just endured the 2nd worst mayor Vancouver has ever had and I'm determined to help stop the worst one, Jim Green, from coming to power!!!

Anonymous said...

So Hillary, being as how you are a teacher that went back to school today I wounder how you explained it to your students when they asked you why you broke the law.
Or did you not tell them the truth and try and explain it as fighting against a bad law. Of course you know the judge said in very specific terms that the strike was illegal.

Horny Toad

Anonymous said...

Terry O'Neil over at Western Standards (http://westernstandard.blogs.com/shotgun/) has a good article on the effects of the teachers strike and how the teachers were the big losers(other than the students, of course)

Horny Toad