Sunday, October 02, 2005

Rainy Paradise

I was feeling rather tired after all of yesterday's festivities. So though I woke up at 6am, which I seem to have done ever since I got back from Toronto last Monday, I had a 3 hour nap this afternoon. Yes, just call me Gramps! But I needed to stock my fridge with some fresh fruits & vegetables and some milk so I ventured outside on this very rainy Sunday. With my new MEC Gortex rain jacket, I barely noticed the rain. In fact, being the avid photographer that I am, the constant glaze of water changes the appearance in several interesting ways.
Nowadays I always buy my produce down at fabulous Granville Island. I love this place and feel so fortunate to have it right it my neighbourhood. As always, the Granville IslandMarket was packed. Some people were shopping, but I think many were just hiding out until the rain died down some. Note to people outside of my city: Most Vancouverites are big time wimps!!!

One of those robotic mimes was performing - give him some change and he moves around for awhile. Then he remains perfectly still until the next person makes a contribution. Three little girls were standing in front of him, most amused but obviously without any coinage to keep the entertainment going. So I walked over to the tallest one, handed her a Toonie ($2 coin) and said, "You can get him moving again with this." As I walked away I heard the coin klink into his little case, heard whizzing sounds from him, and then little ones giggling immediately after that. A perfect moment on Rainy Vancouver Sunday.

No comments: