Monday, October 03, 2005

Government Heads Off B.C. Teacher's Strike

Here is some background on this story.

So, yet another chapter in the teacher's dispute opened today. It's all so predictable, as are the BCTF reactions of supposed outrage. I should go into the fortune telling business because I've been able to predict every new plot twist with a 99% degree of accuracy.I spent part of the weekend discussing the dispute with several teacher friends of mine. I understand what they're upset about and I tend to agree with them:

  • Endless numbers of new initiatives
  • More paperwork
  • Less & less time to actually teach
  • A growing number of students in many classes
But just like the NHL players, they have an egotistical union boss who is more concerned about winning an unwinnable fight than actually helping out her members. And don't even get me started about the BCTF's so-called "concern for kids". Poppycock!This dispute will forever remain unresolved until:
  1. The entire BCTF leadership is voted out.
  2. Several Education management types are removed.

No comments: