Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Don't Blindly Follow Mapping Software

A while back I had to attend a wedding on Vancouver Island. So, as I often do, I consulted Google Maps beforehand. Though I already knew exactly how to get there, I got the website to tell me how to get from Vancouver to Nanaimo. The route provided was completely incorrect, telling me to first head to southern Vancouver Island and then circle back north. This would be necessary except that there's a direct ferry route from just northwest of Vancouver to downtown Nanaimo. It appears that their database, which is supplied by Navteq, doesn't have this northern ferry route in their database. So I let them know. Today (about 1.5 months later) I got back a response explaining that I was wrong and that "driving directions are generated by a host of factors including software algorithms and your navigation system settings." Whatever! So I captured the screen shot shown here and have provided it to them. Let's see if that helps them see that they're wrong!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought maybe horseshoe bay did not exist in their maps. Since:

Horseshoe bay does not show up on Google maps as you have noted. I think it's because its technically in the city of West Vancouver (I think it's a community within West Van city limits right). Thus no record of Horseshoe Bay as opposed to Tsawassen, which is a city and a ferry terminal.

Regardless, even West Van to Nanaimo shows up as go via southern route.

So in their algorithm everything from mainland to the island goes via that route.

Because when I put in vancouver to sechelt, bc...it does show horseshoe bay terminal and the langdale ferry.