Saturday, September 03, 2005

Vancouver Island Wedding - Part 2

The rest of my journey to Victoria was uneventful. I drove straight to Oak Bay, a neighbouring municipality, where I was going to be staying at a friend's. After checking in with her and dropping off my bags, I got in contact with one of the bride's friends, who I was to be driving to the big event. I picked her up, got a snack for the road and then we were on our way! On a sunny day, Hwy 1 north from Victoria is a glorious ride, with some stunning views on the right side of the road. Though when the weather is miserable it can be downright scary. Thankfully we were blessed with the former. The drive took about an hour and a half and we headed directly to the home of the bride's parents. I received a quick run down on my forthcoming ushering duties. I then took off to nearby "Transfer Beach", where the actual wedding was to take the following day. After taking a few photos I saw a vehicle pull-up and the driver let a beautiful German Shepherd out of the back. I asked if he was the groom. Though a little surprised, he answered in the affirmative and we got our first chance to chat. An interesting coincidence! I had been very skeptical of my friend's decision to get engaged to this fellow after knowing him for just a few months. But after talking with him I quickly understood why she adored him so. I then drove back to Victoria.
I ran a few errands and took a few photos on what was a glorious autumn day. I then went back to Oak Bay and had dinner with my friend, her son, and his beautiful new bride, a woman from Cuba. Because she spoke no English, all of us tried to say most everything in Spanish. The food was delicious, as was the conversation. And in a few short hours I learned a whole lot about the other side of Cuba, the one tourists rarely get to see.

1 comment:

dgnyhk said...

Ok, now I'm homesick.