Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Red Crescent of Disgrace

I thought that Canada had a monopoly on being apologists to the world. Step on a Canadian's foot and he'll say, "Sorry". Steal a Canadian's car and she'll try to find you [government funded] counselling for your "affliction". Torture and kill a Canadian citizen in a Muslim dictatorship and the Canadian government will do ... ummm, nothing. Well, maybe they'll send a nasty note, but there'll be an apology to the torturers in there too.

Now I see that our American neighbours are infringing on this "we're guilty, everyone else is a victim" mentality of ours. Rather than build a fitting and honourable memorial to the brave Americans who prevented Flight 93 from being used as a 4th weapon on September 11th, instead an architect has designed and some committee has approved a loving memorial to the hijackers themselves. Lovely.

This has got to be the most outrageous thing I've seen in many years. Though I'm now wondering what might be next? A huge mosque on the World Trade Centre site?

5 comments:

katherine said...

It seems the architects don't think their design has anything to do with Islam. That the crescent is just a generic term for an architectural curve. I've read that many people are outraged by the design and others think it's fine. I think it's likely the design will be changed or altered now that it's in the court of public opinion. Though, who knows ... everything is perception. And perception is everything.

I do wonder, if the highjackers had been of some other religon ... would we be thinking along these same lines? I haven't thought this all the way through, but it seems to me that we are afraid of everything related to Islam ... hypersensitive, if you will. Every person related to Islam isn't a terrorist. Just a thought ... discussion welcome.

Robert W. said...

Katherine,

Before I respond to your [excellent] comments, please know that I have more Muslim friends than most non-Muslims. I've checked the back of my neck and it isn't too red!

I believe that the architect knew EXACTLY what he was doing - ie. designing the Red Crescent of Islam. If you look here: http://www.flight93memorialproject.org/crescent_of_embrace.asp you'll see that the crescent design is very well disguised.

If the perpetrators had been Christian radicals then it would have been equally outrageous to have a cross in the design

katherine said...

In preface to my reply ... everything I post is with the idea of opening dialouge and expanding ideas.

That said ... you could be right that the designers knew what they were doing (the link you posted couldn't be found) ... we may never know for sure. But I think if the perpetrators had been Christian radicals and the architects used a cross in the design, most people wouldn't be outraged because of the connection to the terrorists (since it's likely many of the victims were Christian as well, some would believe it was very fitting). But there would certainly be those who would protest on the grounds that it's a public memorial and it's not politically correct to have any form of religion in our public areas these days. Happy holidays has replaced Merry Christmas. It seems that everything must be in generic form or someone is offended.

Robert W. said...

I preface this reply with no preface! :-)

Try this link: http://www.flight93memorialproject.org and then navigate to the Red Crescent design.

I'm far from perfect but one thing I believe I am is consistent. If I didn't object to the hypothetical cross then I'd be a hypocrite. My protest would have nothing to do with religious symbols in public, which I don't have a problem with.

P.S. Let me offer you an early Merry Christmas!!!

katherine said...

And a Merry Christmas to you as well! : )