Monday, August 15, 2005

A Little Question About Terminology

Are you familiar with Godwin's Law? If not, take a moment to read about it. I first learned about this "law" from my friend from Philly. She pointed out to a very hateful man in an Internet discussion that choosing to call her a Nazi or another Hitler meant that he had just lost the argument.

I've noticed in recent weeks that the use of the term "neocon" or "neo-conservative" is on the rise. In almost all cases, this term is not used in a positive or complimentary way.

So here's my question: Why do the same folks who paint people with the neocon moniker never use the equivalent term "neolib" or "neo-liberal" ? Surely the likes of Michael Moore and Barbara Streisand would be appropriately labelled with these terms?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the US, that highly charged negative term is "liberal".

dgnyhk said...

I expect it's only negative if you're not a "liberal". I don't know about the rest of you, but even a term of endearment like "sweetie" can be bloody insulting in the right moment.
Neo-con sounds good to me, I wonder, tho, what exactly it describes?

dgnyhk said...

Oh wait, did you know about the Stones new song? This from an update on their tour, "Not making the show's set list cut was the Stones' controversial new song "Sweet Neo Con," which has drawn a lot of attention for its criticism of right-wing politics, religious extremism and corporate scandal."

Robert W. said...

Oh yes, when it comes to well founded world views, I always turn to Mick Jagger, Bono, Leonardo DiCaprio, Barbara Streisand, and others of their ilk. Nottttttt!!!!