Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Cindy Sheehan and the Star Wars Bar of Freaks

Have you been following the ongoing saga of Cindy Sheehan and those who have joined her in Crawford, Texas? Even if you've been against the Iraq War and hate George Bush, have her anti-Semitic comments made you a little wary of supporting her? If not, I'd be most curious to know what proverbial line she might cross that would make even you say "enough".

I've found it very strange how she has attracted both left-wing and right-wing extremists. That's quite a feat! But when I read this excellent article by Victor David Hanson, much became clear.

I initially heard Hanson talking about his article on my most favourite John Batchelor Show. There he drew an analogy that Sheehan is like a moth drawn towards the spotlight of publicity. She really does seem to crave the attention. Perhaps it's part of her healing process. But what's going to happen next month when the media moves on to other stories, such as the New Orleans flood and more international issues. Let's hope that all those hanger-ons will stay by her side to give her support. Somehow I doubt it.

No comments: