Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I Heart Huckabees

I've been quite under the weather the past few days, suffering from bouts of fever and a general lack of energy. So I've been lying low, resting a lot, listening to the radio and some talking books, and watching a few movies. One of the latter was recommended by my friend from HK, and called I Heart Huckabees.

She knows me well and knew I would LOVE this film. Why? Because it's all about coincidences and different philosophies of looking at life. The main character, Albert Markovski, is an environmental activist but one who is not succeeding very well. Then suddenly he keeps encountering a very tall African man. Puzzled by this strange series of coincidences that cannot be explained by random chance, he hires two "existential detectives", played by Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin, to solve this mystery for him. Along the way he encounters a wacky cast of characters, who help him sort out many issues in his life.

On the surface the film is a comedy, and I think a funny one. But it deserves watching several more times, because there's a whole lot more going on under the surface.

No comments: