Thursday, October 11, 2007

Christy Clark's Show: Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

Have you sampled Christy Clark's new show on CKNW? If so, what do you think?

When she was in politics I always gave her the benefit of the doubt. My teacher friends hated ... HATED her when she was Minister of Education. But I always tried to defend her.

I'm doing much less of that now that she's on the air, five days a week. Everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion and I applaud her for expressing hers but any political segment is almost always stacked with guests who are of the ultra-left variety.

Today was no exception. She had a segment on whether Al Gore should jump into the U.S. presidential election. Her guests were husband and wife professors, Kathleen & Gerald Hill, two comrades in arms of Clark's. The nonsense revisionist history they were espousing was laughable if it weren't for the fact that most less informed people would accept what was said as fact. It wasn't. Yet our Liberal/liberal host didn't bother to challenge even one of these false assertions.

Today's show was exemplary of the liberal group think that Christy Clark and her husband, Mark Marrison (Stephane Dion's BC lieutenant), must engage in on a regular basis. The premise is clear: "We know better and anyone who disagrees with us is ignorant."

Bring back David Berner! Politically he is left leaning too but he engages in an actual conversation with callers, rather than Clark, who simply cuts off anyone who disagrees with her. This very thing happened today ... right in the middle of one man espousing a series facts to correct the deeply biased professors.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There has been some controversey regarding her show,as well. her partnership in Burrard Communications with hubby, has placed her in conflict of nterest on some topics.

www.lailayuile.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I used to listen to CKNW and still do on Saturday morning and on the week-end where they have Michael Campbell and Roy Green tucked away as best they can so they don't get too many right wing listeners.

Christy is a Liberal hack and after three hours of Bill (do) Good I felt like I was eavesdropping in a welfare office or the meeting of some anti poverty group.

CKNW experimented with the middle of the road (politically) Charles Adler show, but I guess he was too outspoken and frank of subject like the imaginary Global Warming issue and a couple of others.

Too bad so many megawatts are wasted on so much left wing pap all day long.

Robert W. said...

John,

Brilliant, brilliant response! You had me laughing for a long time!! I especially loved this line: "I felt like I was eavesdropping in a welfare office or the meeting of some anti poverty group." The thing is, you're not really exaggerating!

I just spent the past 30 days in Hawaii. I avoided ALL local news there with great determination. I got back home today (to dreary rain) and turned on the radio. It was set to CKNW. I listened for about 2 minutes to Bill Good's show and realized what repetitive drivel it is. Plus, has anyone timed just how many commercials per hour there are now?

While away, I was able to catch several segments of Charlie Rose's excellent talk show. On one they were talking about William F. Buckley Jr. On another they were talking about Microsoft vs. Google vs. Yahoo. Intelligent, interesting discussions that assume the listener is an educated, intelligent person.

Why does CKNW have to play for the lowest common denominator of our society?

Anonymous said...

Agree with John, CKNW is totally unlistenable during weekdays, Michael Campbell and Roy Green are welcome relief.

Christy's show is bad but marginally better than Bill Good (that is not praise)

Anonymous said...

I thought it was just me. I used to be an avid listener but the drivel now is too much to put up with. With Mr. Middle of the Road and with Ms. Liberal Insider why would anyone listen?

langmann said...

Good points.

I agree about D. Berner. The guy was a lefty but he wouldn't let crap go unquestioned. Before I left he actually started to sound a bit more libertarian on his economic views.

I always had little time for Christy...

Robert W. said...

People like David Berner (and me for that matter) are good examples of how it's fallacy to categorize someone as being a "lefty" or being a "conservative" or any other such broad sweeping label.

I think it's critical to discuss specific issues with a person and flesh out their views on each issue separately.

As everyone knows, David's big issue is our drug problem. He takes a common sense, logical approach to it; and one supported by decades of experience helping drug addicts. Many who don't know him or know his history immediately label him as right-wing nutcase. Such a label makes me always burst out laughing because it exposes the person's extreme ignorance.