Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Little Slice of Modern Day Canada

Last night I hosted a little party of some friends, acquaintances, and neighbours. The genesis of the event was to welcome a new family from Colombia to Vancouver. They had just moved here in November. Anyone who knows me, knows that ever since my time in Mexico City in 1996/97 I've had a special place in my heart for anyone from Latin America.

I invited a potpourri of folks, many of them with children the same age as the couple from Colombia. What was most fantastic was that there were people originally from so many different places in the world: Colombia, Chile, Guatemala, Japan, India, Africa, and even Saskatchewan! Now we're all just Canadians. The only requirement was that each person bring either a dish from their original country or some beer. Surprisingly there was very little beer!

Everyone got along incredibly well. One could hear Spanish & English & Japanese all night. A perfect Modern Day Canada event!!

No comments: