Saturday, May 05, 2007

Discrimination: Alive & Well in Canada!

I just read this eye opening piece by David Berner. It concerns the "Broadcaster of the Future" programs being offered by Global Television. On their web page they state the following:

ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA

  • According to respective awards: Aboriginal Canadian / Canadian student with mobility impairment / Canadian student from a self-identified visible minority. Members of visible minority groups are persons, other than Aboriginal peoples, who are non-Caucasian in race or non-white in colour.
  • For internship-only applicants (i.e. Aboriginal Peoples): Secondary school graduate with interest in, and aptitude for, a career in the broadcasting industry.

I am ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED with this. And if I were non-Caucasian I would be both disgusted and offended. For what they're saying is that if you're not white, then you're less, you need special help, you can't cut it without our help; in other words, you're a victim, even if you don't it yet.

I immediately e-mailed them this letter and will post the response if I ever get one:

To Whom It May Concern:

In my work I come across countless young people who I think would be perfect candidates to apply for your scholarship, internship and mentorship programs. They come from all religions & races.

Is it correct for me to conclude that should any of these kids happen be Caucasian that they are simply not welcome to apply? If this is indeed the case, then could you please provide me a copy of the exemption you've obtained from the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom. You could either e-mail me an electronic copy or mail me a paper copy to:

-- My address --


Sincerely,

Robert Werner
Vancouver, BC

No comments: