Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Dear Microsoft

Dear Microsoft,

Against the advice of all of my colleagues, I decided to install Vista on a new computer I just assembled. I spent a lot of money on it and a lot of my time to assemble it. I made sure that every single component was Vista compatible, even spending $200 on a video card instead of a $30 one that would have worked fine with XP.

Yet, I kept on getting the same blue screen of death during installation; one which provides no real information about what the problem is.

So finally I turned to your company to get some help. And on the first screen of your website I'm prompted to enter the "Product Identification Number". I entered the number found on the yellow sticker on the product box but am informed that this is not the what's required.

So I looked up on your site to find out where I should locate the "Product Identification Number". Lo and behold, it says to look on the Help - About screen of Vista.

Isn't that just brilliant!!! I can't install Vista and you demand that I enter a number that is displayed once Vista is installed. Is this some kind of elaborate psychological experiment and I'm the guinea pig?

Please send me some competent professional help. And just so there's no misunderstanding, I'm talking about the technical type, though I may soon need the psychological variety as well!!!

No comments: