Do you remember the whole "Danish Cartoons" controversy a few years ago? Well, today in Calgary, Ezra Levant, the publisher of the now non-existent Western Standard magazine, has to appear in front of the Alberta Human Rights Commission to defend himself because of this letter:
I encourage you to click on the image above to read it in full or you can go here to view the PDF containing it. But here are some excerpts:
- "[The] Western Standard printed extremely racist, hateful and insulting cartoons depicting Prophet Muhammad (...) as a terrorist, violent and immoral person."
- "This false depiction of my Prophet and my ancestor has publicized me and my family as someone related to a terrorist and the followers of a terrorist."
- "These cartoons have sighted violence, hate and discrimination against my family and me."
- "We feel that our human rights have been violated."
- "Our rights as Canadians and Albertans have been violated."
- "These cartoons have created unbearable stress, humiliation and insult for my family and me."
In case you never saw them, here are the cartoons.
I, for one, eagerly await the verdict of this Kangaroo Court. It almost seems like the perfect premise for an hilarious Seinfeld episode, if it wasn't so incredibly serious. Your Freedom of Speech and mine is under attack. If you don't speak out against this travesty then you are giving tacit approval to it.