Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Three 2010 Olympic Mascots

Meet Miga, Quatchi, and Sumi, the 3 mascots for the upcoming Olympics in Japan ... errrr in Vancouver I mean. Silly me for mistaking those names as being authentically Canadian! You can check them out in depth here.

Perhaps they agreed to the names in exchange for a discount from the Japanese Anime artists?! Further to these overly cute critters, I have an admission and a question.

First, in the interest of full disclosure, I will share with you that I once dated an Air Canada flight attendant named Sumi. She was half Japanese and half Caucasian. The mascot Sumi is cute but she was much cuter. I imagine her colleagues must be teasing the hell out of her!

And now the question: Do you think that Quatchi's hairy stomach was closely modeled after Charles Adler's beard? Think I'm kidding? Take a look at this:

Furthermore, his deep baritone voice is very reminiscent of Adler's!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lower mainland is over 22 per cent Asian descent or birth.
I know you don't mean that the way it sounded Rob, so could you define "authentically Canadian," and explain if you really do have a problem with the mascots?

Robert W. said...

Uh oh, the curse of the Anonymous commenter. My first inclination was to say "Huh?!?" because I really didn't know what on earth you meant. But now I see that you're referring to me as a racist.

I learned long ago that if someone chooses to interpret something you say in the worst possible way then that's their prerogative and there's nothing anyone can do about it.