Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The Wild, Wild West! (Revision)

An anonymous commenter informed me that the quote from Sam Sullivan, which I heard on CKNW, was never actually said. So I contacted The World Today program on CKNW and received a call back. The commenter was correct. But here is the precise quote from our mayor: "We're not as bad as other American cities."

So in the interest of accuracy, I have amended and resubmitted my letter to the Vancouver Sun:

Over the past 3 weeks there have been 10 very public gang related murders in Metro Vancouver. At least 2 of the victims were innocent members of the public, simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. After the shocking execution of two people in a car in Marpole we received this gem from Mayor Sam Sullivan: "We're not as bad as other American cities." Wow, I'm sure that'll bring great comfort to school kids and senior citizens standing at a bus stop, the next time bullets are whizzing past them.

Since our mayor is making geographic comparisons, let me do the same. Imagine the Canucks losing 10 straight games and coach Alain Vigneault being asked how he felt. Do you think if he responded with, "Well, at least we're not as bad as the Blackhawks or Red Wings", that he'd be employed much longer?

I voted for the NPA in the last election and the one before that. And goodness know that I would be hard pressed to ever vote for Vision or COPE, but abstinence may be the theme of the day for many voters if Sam Sullivan is once again on the NPA ticket. Every week, our very own Mr. Dithers is providing textbook proof that the Peter Principle is alive and well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man O man O man, talk about making yourself feel good by looking at those worse off than you.

He should have said, "We're not as bad as Iraq," then he could have asked for a big raise for keeping Vancouver's murder rate well below that in Iraq.

I suppose Mr. Sullivan would never look at places doing better than Vancouver and use those places as a goal for improving Vancouver's performance.

Why improve your city by emulating those doing better than you when you can improve how you feel by looking at those doing worse?

Of course, focusing on those doing worse eventually brings you down to their level.

Mark.

Robert W. said...

I don't think Sam Sullivan is a bad person. And I don't think he means badly toward anyone. But I am absolutely convinced that he is in a job several pay grades higher than his level of incompetence. He truly is a Mr. Dithers and I must think that those at City Hall and his NPA Party must know this.

It saddens me what will likely happen at the next municipal election, but I fear it is inevitable.