Sunday, December 03, 2006

Is Vancouver a Multicultural City?

Sunday morning I was looking for some discussions on the aftermath of the federal Liberal leadership vote yesterday. There was a good half hour of it on CBC Radio One. Then in the 10:00 - 10:30 time slot I tuned into Toronto station CFRB via the Internet. Host Kelly Cultrara had an open line of callers presenting their views of whether Stephane Dion will be an asset or detriment to the Liberals.

I called in to add my 2 cents. I mentioned that our fear out here in the West is that the Liberals could have a sock puppet as their leader and still the majority of Ontarioans would vote for them! As for the fact that Dion's command of the English language isn't great I commented that I don't think this is an issue for most people in Vancouver because we're such a multicultural city.

Ms. Cultrara thought about this and then said [paraphrasing]: "Having lived in both places, it's interesting to me that you describe Vancouver as a multicultural city. I don't think it's multicultural at all as compared to Toronto."

No one had ever challenged the multicultural nature of Vancouver before and in point of fact, I really can't disagree with her. Sure, Vancouver has large Chinese and East Indian communities but beyond that we really don't have large numbers of other cultures . . . or do we?

I'd love to hear your comments on this!

6 comments:

Robert W. said...

Cheap shot, but clearly no validity - historical or otherwise - in your comment.

I would love to see a serious comment by a serious person answer this question: What scandal(s) would have to result to have the Liberals all but wiped out, as like what happened to the old Conservative party in 1993?

Anonymous said...

People who come from India, Vietnam, Korea, Phillipeans, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Greece, France, United Kingdom, Pakistan, Kurtistan, and on and on. Do I think Vancouver is multi-cultral, Well we have no people from Mars yet, so I guess not.

Toronto may have a bigger population base in the cultral sense, but more ethnic minorities, doubt it, but then being from the southern coast of BC what the heck do I know!

I wonder if Toronto celebrates its cultral diversity like Vancouver does, now that is a question I think I will ask in my blog

Robert W. said...

Dear "OL",

You deftly bypassed my question, so I must infer that even at the old wise age of 23 that you'll forever vote Liberal, no matter what.

As for Dion, I do respect the man and will most certainly give him a chance. I've never joined a political party and never will. Your party has been the Party of Corruption for many years. I'm glad that the two "backroom" candidates didn't win. Now Dion has a chance to set a new course for his party.

Though I'll never vote for the NDP (vehmently don't agree with their views) I think Canada is much healthier democracy with two strong parties rather than just one.

Onto 2007!

Jean said...

I loved your friend's photo of a snow covered Vancouver. I did not leave my home for 3 days so did not get any photos except near my home. It is so beautiful I would like to use it, giving her credit, on my www.vancouverdailyphoto.com

Robert W. said...

Dear "OL",

My mistake on assuming that you always vote Liberal no matter what. Your mistake on assuming that I won't give Stephane Dion a fair chance. You're just wrong.

nachtwache said...

Yes, Vancouver is very much multicultural!
Stephane Dion seems decent, I just don't like the liberals, the way they force their social agenda on everybody. At least they could give the people a vote on controversial issues, instead of just assuming they know whats good for us.