Friday, September 01, 2006

John Batchelor is Off The Air

At least for now. John Batchelor is a prolific author and historian who first went onto the air on September 12, 2001 in New York City. I first discovered his show in early 2003, while I was living in Montreal. I discovered the WABC website and tuned in most every night between 10pm - 1am. Now that I'm back in Vancouver, I listen every night between 7 - 10pm.

Batchelor's show has often been described as "the BBC with American accents". Like the host, the show is intelligent, informative, and thought provoking. He's a Republican and an intellectual and doesn't apologize for either.

It's not clear why his show is going off the air on the ABC radio network. But there were strong hints that after a few months' sabbatical he'll be broadcasting again, albeit on a different set of stations. I sincerely hope that online streaming is available!

3 comments:

beakerkin said...

It was an amazing show with excellent guests. He often dealt with books and art in addition to the standard politics.

The show was never promoted by WABC.

Robert W. said...

I heard that his ratings were very high for that time slot. So I'm still not at all clear that he was "fired". I got the sense that he left of his own volition. Maybe there'll be an article soon about his departure.

Anonymous said...

Just two cents from another Batchelor Show listener/fan: He went out on top in the ratings for his timeslot, and he's optimistic about coming back soon (thanks to the Hoover Institute it sounds like), but he made clear on Tuesday night last week that "I did NOT instigate this" as to his leaving. It definitely wasn't his choice to go. If I had to guess, I'd bet it was the new "umbrella" big company that bought ABC Radio networks recently shaked up the entire programming schedule and John got the short end of the stick. Though that still doesn't explain their motives...

He will be sorely missed until his return.