Sunday, September 10, 2006

A Few Minutes to Remember

Five years ago I was visiting my ex-girlfriend and her son in Aguascalientes, Mexico. I was supposed to fly to Mexico City on the 9th, which was a Sunday. But I missed my plane (it actually left early!) so I had to take an overnight bus instead. Then on the 10th I flew home to Vancouver, via Chicago. I distinctly remember that time at O'Hare Airport. Everything seemed perfectly normal.

The next day, when I woke up, there were all kinds of e-mail messages from friends, saying how good it was that I had made it safely home. I had no idea at the time the deeper meaning of their sentiments.

The world changed that day. Actually, the realities of the world didn't change. We in the West just woke up to the fact that the world was a very different place. Here's a touching video from Celine Dion that will surely bring back a mixed set of emotions from September 11, 2001:

No comments: