Monday, September 25, 2006

The Death of a Great Man

Patrick Foran was a local chiropractor here in Vancouver. Born just before Christmas in 1935, he graduated from Kitsilano High School in 1954 and then married his high-school sweetheart, Louise MacDonald, two years later. By the time he was 40, he had 9 children! He was strongly committed to his family, his work, his church, and his community.

I never met Mr. Foran, nor his wife. She died just over a year ago and he passed away last week, both succumbing to cancer. His second youngest child, Jocelyn, and her husband, Joe, are friends of mine. I attended the funeral out of respect for them and their family. While there I learned that Mr. Foran was an avid caller to CKNW, just like I am. Jocelyn joked with me that no matter what the topic, her dad would always find a way to focus it on health care.

It was a very touching ceremony and St. Augustine's Catholic Church was absolutely packed. It's so wonderful to know that this man touched so many lives. And I couldn't stop thinking how very fleeting our time on this earth is. Patrick Foran clearly spent it wisely.



No comments: