Thursday, November 16, 2006

Spam, Spam, & More Spam!

This morning I received 131 messages. 127 of them were spam. About a year ago I had switched my e-mail software from Eudora to Thunderbird precisely because of its spam detecting ability. But lately I've found that it has not been working so well. Perhaps the spam creators have deliberately adjusted their contents specifically to defeat such programs like Thunderbird.

It got so frustrating and time consuming that I went searching for a better answer. And I think I've found it in SpamPal. Like Thunderbird, it's absolutely free. But it's superior in that it maintains and updates lists of spammers and their latest nasty creations so as to better detect their menacing intrusions.

There was a minor change I had to make to the incoming server settings but it wasn't difficult. Now all messages that SpamPal thinks are spam are marked with a "**SPAM**". Thunderbird detects this and places them in my "Junk" folder for further review. I've received half a dozen new messages since - all of them spam - and SpamPal has handled them perfectly!

No comments: