Monday, November 27, 2006

The Psychology of the Blizzard

Many of you know that I've been a huge critic of local radio giant, CKNW, for many months. If given the opportunity to speak freely, I bet that many employees there would have similar opinions about the "boneheaded pinheads in Toronto who run the joint".

But credit must be given where it's due. Since the big snowstorm started in Vancouver, CKNW has far outstripped every other station in the region with their coverage. And how did they do it? Simply by opening up the phone lines and letting people share their stories of what's happening in their particular neck of the woods. I've been completely addicted to listening to these silly, first-hand stories. I even called in as soon as my mom & I crossed back into B.C. from Washington State!

I've thought a lot about why so many people feel the need to listen to such stories and share their own. While this snow storm is no tragedy per say, it has certainly shaken people out of their blaise regular routines here in Vancouver more than any other event in recent history. When uncertainty arises in one's life, I think there is an extra-ordinary need to discuss it with other human beings. There's just something strangely reassuring to know that others are going through something similar.

No comments: