Saturday, October 07, 2006

Old Vancouver Postcards

I was recently sorting through some old photos and came across these 4 postcards. I believe they hail from the 1970's or even the 1960's. My oh my has Vancouver changed!!

Lost Lagoon and the northern side of downtown.

The famous Stanley Park train. This actually looks almost the same.

The 9 o'clock gun and Coal Harbour, including 3 of the 4 floating gas stations that I remember.


Here's a view of Kits Beach, with the West End and downtown in the background. I'll have to capture an updated view from this perspective. What's amazing in this photo is that the two tallest buildings are the BC Hydro tower on the far right and the Hotel Vancouver further to its left. They are tiny compared to the buildings that now exist in the city!

1 comment:

Hillary said...

WoW! The 9 o'clock gun looks so cool! I remember going there as a kid and watching it go off. It's jsut not the same now that it's encased in that cage and has flashing orange warning lights that go off for like 5 minutes before it actually "booms."

Ah, the good ol' days... when shooting a cannon off into the harbour was just some good ol' innocent fun! :)