Monday, October 30, 2006

Is Belinda Stronach a Bitch?

This morning on CKNW's Bill Good show, well known political columnist, Norman Spector, made the following comment about Liberal MP, Belinda Stronach: "I think she's a bitch. It's as simple as that. And I think that 90 percent of men would probably say she's a bitch for the way she's broken up Tie Domi's home and the way she dumped Peter MacKay. She is a bitch."

He was attacked by several female callers, one of whom demanded that he be removed from the airwaves or she'd never listen to 'NW again. But Spector stood his ground and added this: "Why is it unacceptable? That's what I think about her. I think it was much worse - a few years ago - when one of the Liberal members referred to (former Edmonton North MP) Deb Grey as a slab of meat quite frankly. I think that was totally unacceptable. But bitch is a word that I would use to describe someone like Belinda Stronach. It is a word that I use regularly."

Later I looked up the term and found these definitions of the word "bitch":

  • a malicious, unpleasant, selfish person, esp. a woman
  • a lewd woman
  • A woman considered to be spiteful or overbearing
Which of these are inaccurate in terms of describing Belinda Stronach?

Spector's comments have lit up the Canadian blogosphere:
I added a comment on one of these blogs that basically said this: In Canada today, can a woman and/or a minority person in the public spotlight be criticized for being "intellectually challenged" or for their bad behaviour? I think not. At least not without the critic being called a sexist or a racist. This is the result of decades of growing political correctness.

In terms of being able to "get away" with speaking your mind, the worst credentials to have in Canada are:
  • White
  • Male
  • Christian
  • Heterosexual
  • Conservative political leanings
And the best credentials are:
  • A racial minority
  • Female or Transsexual
  • An atheist or non-Christian
  • Homosexual
  • Liberal or NDP political leanings
If you have checkmarks in all 5 of these latter categories then run for political office tomorrow and play every "victim card" whenever you need to. Nobody will dare argue with you and the media will support you with great vigor!

2 comments:

KEG said...

Excellent! I am white, male Christian, Hetrosexual... I know what you mean. Spector was right on. Good stuff.

Robert W. said...

Point taken but the type of person I really would like to see comment on here (and agree with my point) would be a Korean African transsexual bi-sexual atheist woman who regularly votes for the NDP.

For I would hope that she would support my right to speak my mind, just as I would wholeheartedly support hers!