Saturday, June 17, 2006

Albanian Encounter

This afternoon I had the great pleasure to meet some people from Albania. They were friends of a family that had been given a computer by BC Digital Divide. The family had bought a little webcam to provide live video with friends & family "back home" but couldn't get it working. I don't normally provide such follow-up service but this was a special case and I wanted to help.

So over came a father, his daughter, and his friend. The little girl was named Marcella and was just 3 1/2 years old. She was very tentative when she arrived. But I quickly switched into "Uncle Rob" mode and eventually won her over. First there was a game of "Bubbles" on my Pocket PC. Then I let her draw with a painting program on my computer. Next came a little stuffed monkey and plastic truck. Then I pulled out a foam baseball bat and ball. To top it off, I set her up with a Curious George website. Eventually she didn't want to leave. A job well done and definitely my treat.

This reminds me of something I've long known. Girls younger than 5 and older than 65 absolutely adore me. It's just those in between that I seem to have a great challenge with!

No comments: