Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Two Early Mornings

For the second morning in a row my alarm woke me at 6am. Not by accident in any way. I had it set so I'd get up, caffeinate my brain, and be semi-conscious by 6:45am. Why? Because I was invited to appear on Roy Green's show on %L[http://www.900chml.com]CHML%L* to talk about the Caledonia, Ontario Native Blockade.

As I'd mentioned previously, the first day I was bumped by an MP. Today I was moved from 6:45am to 8:45am. When I finally went on, Roy let me read these two quotes:

"Rhetoric is a poor substitute for action, and we have trusted only to rhetoric. If we are really to be a great nation, we must not merely talk; we must act big." - Theodore Roosevelt

"You will never understand bureaucracies until you understand that for bureaucrats procedure is everything and outcomes are nothing." - Thomas Sowell


The rest of the discussion went very well. Roy's a very enjoyable person to talk with. I finished up by offering this solution:

  • Cooling off period until early September
  • Then a 6 month period to work out the issues, run by a mediator
  • Media silence but once a month the mediator will issue issue a detailed press release of how things are going - to apply some pressure on both parties
  • If, after 6 months, there's no agreement then one will be imposed by a judge
One big benefit of this getting up early is that I've become highly productive in the morning. The light is gentle and the ambient noise is minimal. But it's only 6pm now and I'm pooped!

No comments: