Friday, October 22, 2010

The Definitive Column on the Left's War Against Free Speech

Lorne Gunter has just published an absolutely brilliant column that should be a reminder to everyone about the intolerance of so many on the Left.  Here's a snippet:

When I first became a columnist at the Edmonton Journal in 1995, my editor was an old liberal who was, nonetheless, a fine, professional journalist. Being right-of-centre, I was out of character for the Journal, which was, is and always has been a proudly liberal paper. My early efforts for the paper provoked strong reaction. Right-of-centre readers hailed the fact that, finally, they had a voice in the paper, while lib-left readers demanded I be fired. They didn’t want their tranquil liberal haven challenged by opposing views.

My editor said it was one of the saddest moments of his career when he realized people who felt as he did on so many issues had such a thin commitment to real free expression. He was most disconcerted when their letters demanding my sacking began “I am all for freedom of speech, but Lorne Gunter should be fired.”

No comments: